Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What Pennsylvania had the good sense to do that the rest of you haven't figured out


Would you vote for someone running for president if he said some of the following things? For now let’s call him Mister X. 

Mister X referred to schools as “factories,” and argued that they are a tragic blip on the historical radar. After the Industrial Revolution, Mister X said  “people came off the farms where they did homeschool or had a little neighborhood school, and into these big factories … called public schools.” He added: “The idea that the federal government should be running schools, frankly much less that the state government should be running schools, is anachronistic.”
Mister X said “We were put on this Earth as creatures of God to have dominion over the Earth, to use it wisely and steward it wisely, but for our benefit not for the Earth’s benefit,”  Mister X then went on to call climate change “an absolute travesty of scientific research that was motivated by those who, in my opinion, saw this as an opportunity to create a panic and a crisis for government to be able to step in and even more greatly control your life.”
 Mister X continued on the subject of global warming “When you have a worldview that elevates the Earth above man and says that we can’t take those resources because we’re going to harm the Earth; by things that frankly are just not scientifically proven, for example, the politicization of the whole global warming debate — this is all an attempt to, you know, to centralize power and to give more power to the government,”
Mister X said regarding birth control "It's not okay, because it's a license to do things in the sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be," "They're supposed to be within marriage, for purposes that are, yes, conjugal... but also procreative."
In his book It Takes a Family, Mr. X called "mass education" an "aberration," writing, "It's amazing that so many kids turn out to be fairly normal, considering the weird socialization they get in public schools."
Mister X said “There are no Palestinians, All the people who live in the West Bank are Israelis.  There are no Palestinians.  This is Israeli land,".
Mister X said "President Obama wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob ... Oh, I understand why he wants you to go to college. He wants to remake you in his image.”
Mister X on the Crusades "The idea that the Crusades and the fight of Christendom against Islam is somehow an aggression on our part is absolutely anti-historical. And that is what the perception is by the American Left who hates Christendom. ... What I'm talking about is onward American soldiers. What we're talking about are core American values."
Mister X on same sex marriage  "Is anyone saying same-sex couples can't love each other? I love my children. I love my friends, my brother. Heck, I even love my mother-in-law. Should we call these relationships marriage, too?" "What about three men?" "If you think it's OK for two, you have to differentiate for me why you're not OK with three. Any two people, or any three, or four."  "That's not to pick on homosexuality," Mister X said in another interview. "It's not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be," he said.
Mister X said “Mutually consenting adults do not have a constitutional right to privacy with respect to sexual acts.”
Mister X said that this year’s election was like the time between 1940 and 1941 when Americans didn’t act against Adolf Hitler because they thought he was “a nice guy” and not “near as bad as what we think.” “It’s going to be harder for this generation to figure this out. There’s no cataclysmic event,” he explained, but similar urgency. “Is anybody reminding us who we are, what made us great, and what these assaults are all about?”
I am sure you have figured out by now that Mr. X is none other than Rick Santorum. Maybe you hadn’t seen all of the above quotes.
 Now I get that Republicans are frustrated and I get the lack of love for Mitt Romney.  With all his money and the extensive political machine that has been in place for years he can’t shake Rick loose. I get that Republicans love Jesus more than Democrats. And no one loves Jesus more than Rick. Heck I love Jesus too (see my previous blog) but I haven’t lost my mind.  The good people of Pennsylvania had the sense to vote Santorum out of office.  In the November 7, 2006 Senate election, Santorum lost by over 700,000 votes, the largest margin of defeat for an incumbent senator since 1980. Come on people, draft Jeb or Christy or dig up the Gipper you can’t seriously elect someone who believes that God will replenish the earth after we ruin it or government shouldn’t be running schools or that birth control is wrong.  Do we need to have the good people of Pennsylvania to slap some sense into us? 

9 comments:

  1. Joe,
    Come on man!!! Quit beating around the bush and tell us what you really think!!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is your best post yet (except for revealing your gay attraction to Jesus) and all you did was quote the idiot in his own words. This guy has an MBA and a law degree; I actually listened to his speech last night from Steubenville and he is not dumb. So how can he honestly believe what he says? And, I think he does. Stuff like this always makes me wonder how the fuck we got out of the caves - and how long it will be before we go back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no...my husband loves Jesus? I did not know that! Santorum is scary. So scary even those in Pennsylvania know it, Wow...and I have heard some crazy things about Pennsylvania!

    I agree w/ Mediana64. Very good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right. Much better to vote for a President who is "...trying to figure out how to get gas prices to the level of Europe", which is about $8/gallon. And then complains about the oil companies making "record profits".


    Hmm...
    So that's your guy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. JF - so that's your defense of Santorum??? Talk about damming with faint praise. I've already stated my some of my criticisms of Obama. You can't bring yourself to call out Santorum? On anything???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not defending Santorum. For me, he's way too morally conservative. For moral issues, I'm much more in agreement with the democrats - pro gay marriage and right to serve in the military, women's right to choose, separation of church and state, others. In fact, I don't know too many positive things to really say about Santorum except that he's not Obama.

      Obama just scares me. Aside from his policies, which some I agree with, for my comfort zone he's going to far against the Constitution with Obamacare. Just the idea that the Government can tell you what to buy and do as long as they can explain that what you do affects others. Well, almost everything you do affects others so that creates a very wide net of behavior the government can start controlling if Obamacare is passed. And it's not even the Democrats I would be worried about at that point, it's the Republicans. Imagine a President Santorum that has a Supreme Court ruling behind him saying he can control (limit and force) what individuals do or buy!!!

      Back to the GOP race though, I have no idea who I would vote for. Maybe Gingrich, but he won't make it to the General Election. They all have serious flaws. Maybe I'll write someone in. What are you doing over the next 4 years? ;-)

      Delete
  6. And now, the rest of JF's story
    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/73138.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't put words in my mouth.
      Thanks

      Delete
  7. JF, not trying to put words in your mouth. Just pointing out that Obama did not say what you implied he did, Chu said it before Obama was elected.

    Pardon me, I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but I do not understand the "Obamacare" argument. I was drafted in 1968, the government had the right to make me join the military and go kill people. I didn't, I joined the USAF, but plenty of the people I grew up with did and they still got 4 years of my life. In the early years of the country the government told people they had to buy guns and ammunition in case they were called upon to serve in the militia. We are required to pay taxes. There are all sorts of limits on what you can buy right now, weed for example. Beer in Sherman. Uranium, exotic species, mustard gas, the list goes on forever.

    Right now we have a health care system that is the most expensive in the world and part of the reason is that people who don't have insurance are taken care of in the ER (the most expensive place possible) and the rest of us are forced to pay through higher insurance premiums. There probably are no good solutions but it seems like universal health care where everyone must contribute something is better than the mess we have now.

    ReplyDelete